Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Raynor & D'Andrea Funeral Homes | West Sayville NY funeral home and cremation
site image

What Happens When a Loved One Passes Away Out of Town?

Published: July 17, 2023

Now that the pandemic is officially over, people are spending more time away from home whether it’s vacationing, visiting relatives, attending special events or moving to warmer climates during the winter months. It’s always challenging when a loved one dies, but it can be even more complicated and distressing when someone dies while out of town.

The most important thing to do when a death occurs out of town is to contact the funeral home where the funeral will take place. When a loved one dies away from home, the family of the deceased does not need to be directly involved in setting up transportation of their loved one. Rest assured that the funeral director of the chosen funeral home will make the needed arrangements for transportation, coordinate with local authorities, and engage the necessary services of a funeral home in the area where the death occurred.

The hometown funeral director will do all of the coordinating on behalf of the family, including contacting a funeral home in the area where the person has passed and arrange for the transportation to bring the loved one home. If the distance is nearby, the deceased may be transported either by train or by the appropriate vehicle from the funeral home or mortuary. However, if the distance is farther away, the deceased may be transported by air. Most funeral homes have relationships with specialized agencies to ensure the safety of your loved one during transport. 

Some states require that the body be embalmed if the deceased is transported across state lines, while others do not. Your local funeral director can advise you on what laws apply. The staff at Raynor & D’Andrea Funeral Home is thoroughly trained to know the rules and regulations for making all the necessary arrangements, comply with relevant laws, and save you unnecessary costs wherever possible.

What if the Death Occurs Abroad?

If a loved one dies outside of the United States, the first step is to contact the United States Consulate in the country in which the death occurred. You can also contact the U.S. Department of State for further help and information. There are documents and paperwork required by law by both the United States and by foreign countries before remains can be sent from one country to another. These documents can vary depending on the circumstances of the death and the countries involved. Again, the hometown funeral director will assist you with making all these arrangements.

Some families may choose to have their loved one cremated before bringing them home. Cremated remains can either be carried on the airplane or shipped home, as long as TSA and airline rules are followed.

If a death occurs away from home, whether within the United States or abroad, calling your hometown funeral director is indispensable for making all the necessary arrangements. For more information on an out of town death, or any questions at all, please contact one of our knowledgeable funeral directors at either of our two locations, West Sayville and Bayport.

We appreciate you reading our blog. You can contact Raynor & D’Andrea Funeral Home at 1-800-737-0017. Or you can drop us a message here.


© 2024 Raynor & D'Andrea Funeral Homes. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility